As you found out in my yarn-embellished gift wrap post, I love adding personal touches to gifts at Christmas-time. This cross-stitched gift tag is a quick and easy way to dress up your Christmas presents this year! I love how the simple cross stitch design looks so special and unique on the paper!
- 3 X 3.5 piece of cardstock
- DMC thread in green, brown, red, and metallic gold (I used 817, E3821, 433, and 3348)
- embroidery needle
- 1.75 mm crochet hook
- printed cross stitch template (pdf available here)
- Cut out cross stitch template and tape to cardstock. Use your embroidery needle to pre-punch all of the holes. Remove template.
- Cross stitch the tree design onto the cardstock with the green and brown embroidery floss. (Tutorial available here)
- With red embroidery floss, add french knots randomly throughout the tree to represent ornaments. (Tutorial available here)
- Crochet star (worked with metallic gold and 1.75 mm crochet hook): Make a magic loop. Work (ch 5, sl in 2nd ch from hook, ch3, sc into magic loop) five times. Sl into bottom of original ch. Bind off and sew to top of cross-stitched tree.
- Punch a hole in the top of the card and attach a loop of yarn for hanging.
- Attach tag to a gift and spread some Christmas cheer! :)
Be sure to check out the other projects in my 12 Crafts of Christmas series! If you've made any of the projects this year, I'd love for you to share them with me!