As many of you already know, the crochet community lost one it's finest this past week. Tragically, Marinke (aka Wink) of A Creative Being lost her long battle with depression by choosing to end her life. Wink's work was beautiful and an inspiration to her many followers.
In memory of Wink and her creative spirit, Kathryn from Crochet Concupiscence has developed a project called Mandalas for Marinke. Because Wink was known most for her mandalas, Kathryn is inviting everyone to create a mandala for Marinke. She is also encouraging everyone to send her the mandalas so that she can combine them into a show that will help raise awareness for depression. You can find more information about the project here.
In honor of Marinke, I decided to make this pattern from her blog. This project will be in the mail shortly and I cannot wait to see the final results of the Mandalas for Marinke project! So many people are already sharing pictures on Instagram! (#mandalasformarinke)
After finishing Wink's design, I was really inspired to sit down and create my own mandala. This pattern is free for you to use however you'd like. My only request is that you take a moment to remember Wink and her incredible creativity. :)
- cotton yarn in white, gray, teal, and navy (or whatever colors you would prefer)
- size G crochet hook ( I like this one.)
- embroidery scissors
- yarn needle
- Ch 3 counts as first dc throughout.
- With gray color, make magic loop.
- Round One: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 11 dc into magic loop. Slip into 3rd chain of beginning ch 3. (12 st)
- Round Two: Ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2). (Dc, ch 2) in each stitch around. Slip into 3rd chain of beginning ch 5. (12 dc and 12 loops)
- Round Three: Slip into ch 2 space. *(Dc, ch 2) twice into ch 2 space. Dc, ch 2 in next ch 2 space. Repeat from * around. Slip into first dc. Bind off. (18 dc and 18 loops)
- Round Four: With white, slip into a ch 2 space. Work 3 sc in each ch 2 space around. Slip into first sc and bind off. (54 sc)
- Round Five: With teal, slip into any sc. *Sc, skip 2 st, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) into next stitch, skip 2 st. Repeat from * around. Slip into first sc and bind off. (9 "ridges")
- Round Six: Fold row five forward. This round will be worked into the unused stitches of round four. With navy, slip into any open sc. Work 2 dc in each exposed stitch around. Slip into first dc. (72 dc)
- Round Seven: Work 7 dc, dc increase (2 dc into one stitch) around. When directly behind the tip of a "ridge" from round five, work dc through the ch 3 space and the next sc in round six. Slip into first dc and bind off. (82 dc)
- Round Eight: With white, slip into any dc. Work 8 sc, sc increase (2 sc into one stitch) around. Sc into last stitch. Slip into first sc and bind off. (91 sc)
- Round Nine: With gray, slip into any sc. *Dc in each of next 2 sc, ch 7, skip next 5 sc. Repeat from * around. Slip into first dc and bind off. (27 dc and 13 spaces)
- Round Ten: With teal, (sl, ch 1, 2 sc, 2 hdc, dc, tr, ch 3, slip into 3rd ch from hook, tr, dc, 2 hdc, 2 sc, sl) into each ch 7 space around. Slip into first sl stitch and bind off.(13 "ridges")
- Use yarn needle to weave in ends.