I love the ombre trend we've been seeing everywhere lately. It's been around in the crafting world for quite some time now and it looks like it's here to stay. There are so many great ombre pieces out there it inspired me to create my own unique take on this trend!
- small piece of leather or faux leather if you'd prefer
- leather punch kit (I used this one)
- embroidery floss in four similar colors
- necklace or findings to make necklace
- Cut leather piece into a 3" X 2" X 2" triangle. Snip off the tips of the two angles adjacent to the longest side.
- Use punch kit to create holes. I used a ruler and made the holes 1/4 in apart. It helped me to mark the holes on the back in Sharpie and use those marks as a guide. You will need one hole in each corner for hanging and five rows of holes for stitching as described below. Make sure the stitch in the center of the first row is centered and work from there.
- row one: 8 holes
- row two: 8 holes
- row three: 6 holes
- row four: 4 holes
- row five: 2 holes
- Cross stitch the four rows going from darkest color to lightest color. Secure your ends.
- Attach piece to necklace. You can either steal the chain off of a necklace you don't wear anymore (which I do quite often lol) or you can build your own necklace. If building your own necklace, you will need two jump rings, 17 inches of chain (two 8 1/2 in pieces), and a spring ring or lobster clasp to close.
Enjoy your new necklace and be ready for lots of compliments!
P.S. If you'd rather purchase the finish product instead of making your own, I have them available in my Etsy shop!
P.S.S. If you decide to make your own necklace, I'd love to see the finished product! You can tag me on Instagram or share it on Facebook.
Linked to: The Makers, Off the Hook Monday